Designing a Blog an and monetizing it is almost the dream of everyone because of its lucrativeness and less stressful when compared to other types of business.
Blogging can be used as a full-time job if done the right way. Though being a successful blogger requires a lot of sacrifice but the profitability will surely put a smile on your face.
Before we dive into the main article, let’s discuss briefly some blogging terms.
Table of Contents
WHAT IS BLOGGING?
From our own point of view, Blogging is the act of representing and sharing ones thoughts, Opinions or skills Online for others to read and learn from. While a blog is usually a personal Website Design for the purpose of sharing ones Opinions or skills Online.
HOSTING: In a layman’s language, Hosting can be said to be a place where Website files or data’s (texts, images,videos and all other site contents) are stored on the internet. Consider this to be a room where you kept your luggages.
DOMAIN: A domain name is a unique address pointing to where your website files are stored on the internet (i.e the address pointing to your host). The name helps Direct users to your website contents. e.g thedecentworld.com which is our Domain name.
From the explanation above, you can see that a Hosting and a domain is a must have things before starting a blog. In order to start a blog, you’ll need to get these 2 things Ready by purchasing it from Hosting company.
Although there are blogging platforms like Blogspot or blogger that offers users free Hosting and Domain to create their blog without spending a dime but the fact is, if you’re serious about blogging, then choose a better blogging platform like WordPress and pay the price
Blogger or Blogspot is owned by Google and one of its downside is that you won’t have full control of your blog site and at the same time you can’t monetize it the way you like. Another thing is that if your blog contents goes against Google policy, then your blog or Website maybe deleted at anytime without notice.
WordPress is also easy to use with a lot of features and easy customization when compared to blogger or Blogspot. This are just few reasons why WordPress is always better when it comes to website creation.
HOW TO DESIGN A WORDPRESS BLOG
Starting up a WordPress blog is as easy as anything one can ever imagine and it can be done within 1hr if there’s maximum commitment. The first step is to get your hosting and domain ready.
There are many hosting company available to choose from but we have our Recommendations which is based on what we’ve used before, what works for us and also their ease of use.
Among the available Hosting companies, Our Recommendation is Interserver. We recommends Interserver mostly because of the followings;
• Their ease of use for both expert and an absolute beginner.
• Their price. Interserver has a uniform Hosting price for both first year purchase and subsequent renewals. Other Hosting companies like bluehost do offer a reduced price for a first year purchase and higher prices for subsequent renewals.
• Customer Support: Interserver customer support is top notch and respond fastly both on Facebook and on their website live chat.
• Service quality, Interserver offers a Services which is top notch and this why many bloggers do migrate their websites to Interserver to enjoy them more.
These are just few reasons why we Recommends the Interserver Hosting for our users. Now let’s proceed on how to purchase a hosting and domain on Interserver.
Interserver offers monthly and yearly hosting plan. $5/Month or $54/year and a domain (.com) costs about $6/year. Everything costs $60/year altogether which is about N24,000 (24k) when converted to the Nigerian currency.
Please note that the $2.50/month as seen on the screenshot above is a promotional offer which will last only for a limited time. The normal price is $5/month.
• Click On The Buy Now Button Under Standard Shared Hosting.
• Enter your preferred domain or Website name (e.g thedecentworld.com) and click on Continue.
• If your choosen Domain name is available, you’ll be Directed to a registration/Sign up page.
• Fill in the required details and click on the Create Account And Continue button.
• On the Next screen, Fill in your billing details and click on Continue.
• Complete the purchase with your ATM card.
HOW TO INSTALL WORDPRESS ON INTERSERVER
After Successfully purchasing your Interserver Hosting, it’s now time for you to install WordPress on it and kick-start your website creation. Follow our guides below to get started.
• Login to your Interserver Hosting Account
• Click On Login To Cpanel
Look for For Softaculous App installer, just type the word “Softaculous” in the search bar to find it easily.
• Click On WordPress from the list of app displayed. you can type WordPress on the search bar to locate it easily.
• leave the default WordPress version selected and choose your domain name on the directory field. ensure to remove “wp” from the directory field.
• On the other fields, fill in your preferred blog/Website Name (e.g Decentworld), your blog/Website tagline (blog description) and your admin login details.
Please note that all this Details can be changed at anytime.
• choose Automatic Back in the Advanced Section and then leave all other fields as it is.
• Now Scroll down and Click Install. Your new WordPress site will be installed within 3mins.
• After Successful installation, click on the Admin URL displayed and login to it with the username and password you set earlier. You can as well visit your site admin page by typing “yoursitename.com/wp_admin”
Booyah! Your WordPress Website is now ready for customization and Publishing of contents.
IN CASE OF ANY DIFFICULTIES INSTALLING AND SETTING UP YOUR WORDPRESS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT US HERE ON WHATSAPP FOR HELP (please ensure to have gotten your hosting and domain ready before contacting us for help also you might not be responded to)
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR WORDPRESS WEBSITE
To customize the looks and appearance of your new blog/Website, you’ll need to choose your preferred themes from the WordPress theme directory. And to add features to your new blog, you needs to install plugins.
• What is a WordPress theme? WordPress themes works in the same way like the themes you use on your Android phones. so they also help to change the looks and appearance of your WordPress Blog. there are thousands of themes available for you to choose from.
• What is a WordPress plugin? A WordPress plugin is an app that helps to add new features to your WordPress site. consider WordPress to be your Android phone and plugin to be an app like Facebook, WhatsApp etc. you need to install these apps before you can use them. that’s exactly how plugin works.
HOW TO INSTALL THEMES IN WORDPRESS
• From your WordPress dashboard, Click On the Menu Button (The 3 small parallel lines at the top left corner of the screen).
• Scroll down and Click On Appearance
• From the drop-down menus, Click On Theme.
• From the theme option, click on “Add New*
• From the list of many themes displayed, click on any theme of your choice. Click on preview to see how it’ll look on your site when installed and Published.
• When satisfied with your selected theme, click on “install and Publish”. you can visit you site to feel the looks of your new theme.
The type of WordPress plugin to install depends wholly on the type of features you need to add to your blog. Basically, you’ll need to add a contact Form to your blog so that users can easily reach out to you. To add a contact Form, you’ll need to install The Contact Form 7 or WPForm plugin.
• From your WordPress dashboard, Click On the Menu Button
• Scroll down and Click On Plugins
• Click On Add New Button
• The WordPress plugin directory will now opened, search for any plugin using the search box.
• Click On the Install Button On your preferred plugin to install it.
• After Installation, click on the Activate Button to have the plugin activated.
• Go back to Plugin >> Installed Plugins here you’ll see the Plugins you have installed already.
• Click on setting under each plugin to configure it to your own taste.
HOW TO ADD CONTACT FORM IN WORDPRESS
There are many contact form Plugins available but in this example, we’ll be using the WPFORM plugin.
• Install the WPForm plugin by following the steps above.
• After Installation and activation, Click On the WordPress Menu Button
• Scroll down and click on WPForm
• Click On Add New
• Click On Simple Contact Form
• Edit the form to your taste and click on save at the Top corner when done.
• Now Click On Setting at the left hand side of the screen and click on Notification.
• Configure the Notification with your emails and save it.
• Click on Notification and also configure it to your taste and save it.
HOW TO CREATE A CONTACT US PAGE IN WORDPRESS
• From your WordPress dashboard, Click On the Menu Button
• Scroll down and Click On Page
• Click On Add New
• On the page title, Write “Contact Us”
• On the second field, Click on the + sign
• From the Displayed items, Click On Form and choose the Form you created earlier.
• Now Publish the page and that’s all. your contact us page will now be available to your visitors.
Follow this same steps to create every other pages of your new website/blog
HOW TO CREATE AND PUBLISH YOUR BLOG POSTS.
• From your WordPress Menu, Click On Post
• Click On Add New
• Write your post title/Headline on the Title field.
• On the second field, write your post contents.
• To add images to your post, Click on the + Sign and select image from the drop-down menu, now upload your image.
• When you’re done with the editings, Click on Publish at the top of your screen. Or click on Preview to preview it before Publishing.
You can install the WordPress app from Google play to ease the tasks.
DIFFERENT BETWEEN BLOG POSTS AND PAGES
You might be wondering what’s really the differences between blog posts and pages since it takes the same steps to create them. blog posts and pages looks similar but with a very slight differences.
While blog pages are used for static contents, blog posts are used for frequently changing contents. for Instance, The About Us and contact Us section of a website contains a static contents that do not change frequently.
But posts are being updated regularly and more posts are being added to which shifts older posts down the website but blog posts can be positioned in one place for easy access.
HOW TO ADD YOUR NEW BLOG TO GOOGLE
• Install and activate the Google site kit Plugin
• After activation, Click on your WordPress Menu Button and click on site kit, from the drop-down menus, select Settings.
• From the Settings, click on “Connect more services”
• Click on Google search console and Follow the Instructions provided to connect it.
• After Successfully connecting your site with Google search console, go back to the site kit settings and connect “Google Analytics.
• You may as well connect the ” Pagespeed insight” but avoid connecting AdSense at this time.
HOW TO MONETIZE YOUR BLOG AND MAKE MONEY FROM IT
When it comes to blog monetization, there are many ways to monetize your blog and make money from it but the most talk about is by using Google AdSense. google AdSense helps to place advertisers contents on your website and pay you for displaying such contents (ads) on your website).
But before thinking of connecting your website or blog to AdSense and start your monetization journey, there are few things to put in place in order to stand a better chance to get approved into the Google AdSense community. see below;
• Ensure your Terms and conditions pages, Contact Us page, About Us, Disclaimer page and all other relevant pages are duly put in place.
• Ensure your blog posts are unique and written by you. Do not copy posts from other websites and paste it on your Blog.
• Ensure your blog images are yours and not taken or downloaded from other websites.
• Ensure you do not offer any sexually relate contents on your website/blog.
• Above all, Read the full Google AdSense policies and try to abide by them.
** Once all the above listed things are set in place, Go back to your Google site kit plugin from your WordPress dashboard and Connect to AdSense just like you connect your Google search console and analytics.
** Once AdSense is connected Successfully, Google will now review your website/blog within 2weeks to ensure it meet up with all its policies. If everything is all right, You’ll be approved within that 2weeks and ads will start showing on your Blog. Your earnings Continues and you’ll be able to withdraw monthly once you reach $100.
IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY DIFFICULTIES SETTING UP YOUR BLOG, KINDLY CONTACT US HERE ON WHATSAPP AND WE’LL HELPYOU OUT FOR FREE (please ensure you’ve Successfully purchased your hosting and domain with our guidelines above before contacting us for help else we won’t attend to you).
ALSO REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER BELOW TO ENABLE YOU RECEIVE ALL OUR LATEST UPDATES VIA YOUR EMAIL AND NEVER MISS OUT. DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THE POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS ON SOCIAL MEDIA USING THE SHARE ICONS BELOW
"If you think this post is beneficial to you, Kindly Share it with your friends on Social media. Also Like and follow Our FacebookPage for more updates.